(8 December 2010)
2010 - A Good Year
December is a time for holiday spirit, and it is also the perfect opportunity to take inventory – to reflect on the year that was. Throughout 2010, Saskatchewan continued to be a great place to live, work, invest and do business. More than ever before, Saskatchewan is top of mind for people and investors across Canada and around the world. There is contagious and unstoppable energy and optimism in the new Saskatchewan. People living in the province are full of confidence and hope and many people outside of our province want to start a life here and be a part that optimism. Saskatchewan is on a new road. Throughout 2010, our government continued to take action that will move us forward down that new road by:
2010 was a good year for Saskatchewan as our economy continued to grow and move forward for a number of reasons.
- Delivering another balanced budget, becoming the only province to balance the books this spring;
- Responding quickly and effectively to historic flooding across the province this summer by delivering $360 million in a $30 per acre payment for flooded acres that could not be seeded, and by increasing the assistance levels and shortening the wait times for payment under the Provincial Disaster Assistance Program (PDAP) to those whose homes and belongings were damaged by the flooding; and
- Standing up for Saskatchewan and its people by making a compelling case to convince Ottawa to reject BHP Billiton’s attempted takeover of the Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan.
2010 has been a busy year filled with challenges, accomplishments, learning, growth and unforgettable memories and events. With the holiday season upon us, there are more memories to make and more joyous experiences to share with loved ones. I hope you and your family get a chance to enjoy and appreciate the little things that really make the holidays special, like spending time with loved ones, the smell of a Christmas tree, enjoying delicious home-cooked meals, and the beautiful lights and decorations that make our streets, houses and communities come alive with the spirit of Christmas. I wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday season.
- Saskatchewan is now the fastest growing province in Canada – our population grew by 16,500 in the past year to an all-time high of over 1,045,000.
- There are 5,600 more people working in Saskatchewan than a year ago and we have the second-lowest unemployment rate in Canada.
- 2011 should be even better, with the Conference Board of Canada and many other independent forecasters saying that Saskatchewan will lead the country in economic growth.
- Our government will continue to take action to keep Saskatchewan’s economy moving forward. We will share the benefits of that growth with the people in our province through lower taxes and by investing in important services like health, education and highways.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
If you have a question about this Legislative Report or any other matter, just Contact Glen.
Past Legislative Reports